Bullet points from a recent issue of the London Daily Mail
• Tensions with Britain as Gates rebukes UK government over suggestion Gaddafi could be assassinated
• French propose a new political ‘committee’ to oversee operations
• Germany pulls equipment out of NATO coalition over disagreement over campaign’s direction
• Italians accuse French of backing NATO in exchange for oil contracts
• No-fly zone called into question after first wave of strikes ‘neutralises’ Libyan military machine
• U.K. ministers say war could last ’30 years’
• Italy to ‘take back control’ of bases used by allies unless NATO leadership put in charge of the mission
• Russians tell U.S. to stop bombing in order to protect civilians – calls bombing a ‘crusade’
John Bolton agrees with Random Thots.
In Obama’s War? we argued that America has been a catalyst for good. Standing firm with our friends we presented a formidable front to anyone who might challenge any free nation among us. Obama is dismantling these alliances and breaking a solidarity that has been crucial for deterrence against aggression by our adversaries upon our allies.
Power Line reports on Bolton’s comments,
Bolton concludes that the harm caused by American weakness on the Gaza blockade issue will reach far beyond the Middle East: “America’s friends and allies increasingly realize that President Obama won’t stand with them in controversial circumstances.” Bolton suggests that “those closest to us will calibrate their own interests more carefully to hedge against US weakness, step by step distancing themselves from us.” I would add only that those most opposed to us have taken the measure of Obama’s weakness and are taking advantage of it in ways that bring a major conflagration ever closer.
Reagan made sure we carried a big stick and peace prevailed. Obama is whittling the stick into a symbol of submission. The United States has been the cop on the beat that caused the felon to walk on by. But the cop has been recalled from duty and Iran is not the only felon to notice it.
It could take a lifetime to reverse the damage this President is doing.